The Obama administration is cutting thousands of officers from the military, citing the demands of sequestration. Those being laid off include a number of officers on active duty, with some receiving pink slips while on the battlefield.
Fox News reports, July 13, 2014, that the Pentagon is laying off thousands of military officers, including those serving or who have recently served in Afghanistan.
On Thursday, July 10, Gen. John Campbell told Congress that 1,100 soldiers, including some currently serving in Afghanistan, would receiving pink slips due to sequestration budget cuts to the Defense Department.
Roughly 2,600 captains and other officers have or will be laid off, with more expected.
Defense Department officials said the reductions are the result of mandatory spending cuts imposed by sequestration and are part of their larger plan to reduce the number of U.S. soldiers from 520,000 to 450,000.
The Army insists the draw-down plan “is a balanced approach that maintains readiness while trying to minimize turbulence within the officer corps.” But retired Major Gen. Robert Scales, a Fox News contributor, says the decision to send pink slips to soldiers overseas on active duty is dangerous and bad for morale because “It puts the soldier, the soldier’s family and the men under his command at risk. Young officers look at each other and wonder who is next.”
Oklahoma Sen. James Inhofe, the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, said: “Once again [President Obama] is putting domestic politics ahead of the security of our nation. The Army captains and majors receiving pink slips while on the battlefield is just the latest example. My heart goes out to these men and women who are risking their lives and making great sacrifices, yet are now being told they are being separated from the Army and will have no job when they return home to their families.”
- Obama admin to reduce US military to pre-WWII level
- The real reason why Obama is purging military’s top command
- Obama admin removes all battle tanks from Europe
- President Lucifer’s Pentagon uses she-male to recruit transgenders
- Soldiers perform as transvestites on U.S. air base
- Obama at West Point: speech panned by media; 25% standing ovation
- Pentagon’s protection agency crippled by a ‘catastrophic network tech outage‘
- Obama directive to use military against U.S. citizens